The most important rule is:
Even if there is only the slightest suspicion, do not hesitate and take your dog to the vet immediately.
your dog to the vet immediately. Because if your four-legged friend has really swallowed a poisoned bait, this can cause the first signs of poisoning within a very short time.
The first signs of poisoning can be
– excessive panting
– white salivation
– pale mucous membranes
– altered pupils
Unfortunately, the signs are not always immediately noticeable and much depends on the type of poisonous bait.
The disastrous thing about rat poison is that the first signs may only appear after a few days. Typical signs of poisoning with rat poison are vomiting, tiredness, bloody diarrhoea and a low body temperature. 2-3 days after ingestion of the rat poison, bleeding occurs on mucous membranes and from body orifices and the dog usually dies of organ failure within 3-5 days.
Insecticide slug pellets
Insecticide slug pellets are also often used to poison baits. It works much faster than rat poison and the first symptoms of poisoning can occur after just 30 minutes. Please consult a vet as soon as possible. As soon as the poison has entered the bloodstream, the vet can only provide symptomatic treatment. The perfidious thing about slug pellets is their sweet flavour, which is why dogs and cats like to eat them.
As dog haters will use anything they deem useful for their purposes, baits can also be laced with anaesthetics. If your pet has swallowed one of these baits, signs such as loss of consciousness or staggering will occur within a very short time.
Bait spiked with sharp-edged objects.
If your pet has eaten a bait spiked with nails, razor blades or metal spikes, you will often notice blood in your pet’s mouth. In this case, too, you should make your way to the vet as quickly as possible and, if possible, announce the visit on the way.
Do you suspect poisoning?
1. absolutely refrain from self-medicating.
2. call a vet or veterinary clinic immediately and announce the emergency.
3. take your dog for veterinary treatment immediately and without delay.
Do not self-medicate!
You can find lots of first aid tips for poisoning on the Internet, but most of them are hardly practicable and can even be life-threatening. Please do not make your dog vomit under any circumstances, because if he has swallowed sharp-edged or corrosive substances, his condition could worsen considerably.
The administration of activated charcoal may also cost vital time. Charcoal tablets
bind toxins in the body, but the necessary dosage depends on the dog’s body weight.
body weight of the dog.
In an emergency, every second really counts, so contact a vet immediately
vet immediately and give notice so that you can be treated as quickly as possible. Quick and immediate treatment can save your dog’s life.
Please make a note in your telephone:
Address and telephone numbers of neighbouring vets and veterinary clinics.
Even if you are on holiday, this may save your life.
Poison bait also in your private neighbourhood.
Unfortunately, intentional poisoning of dogs and cats also occurs among neighbours. Neighbours may feel disturbed by the barking of dogs. If dog owners allow their four-legged friend to defecate in the neighbour’s driveway or front garden, trouble is inevitable. Unfortunately, the animal perceived as a nuisance is only a poison bait throw over the garden fence away.
How can I prevent my four-legged friend from ingesting poison bait?
More on this in our next blog post: Can I prevent my dog from eating a poison bait?
Which plants are poisonous for my dog? You can find out more here: